Roads and pavements


CTMP guidance

Information about Construction Traffic Management Plans including guidance notes and a pro-forma.

Apply for a highway excavation licence

How to apply for a licence to lift the footway and make a temporary excavation, including licence conditions.


Temporary structures

How to apply for a licence for a temporary structure licence or to store materials or plant, including information about costs and conditions.

Cost of fees

Fees for skip permits, temporary structure and plant and material licences.

Maintaining roads and pavements

Information on our programme to maintain roads and pavements in the borough.

Street lighting

Information about street lighting design in the borough.

Road safety

Information and guidance on road safety including our road safety strategy.

Highway status enquiries

Information about full land charge searches, CON29 enquiries and highway status enquiries.

Highways enforcement

Our Highways Enforcement Team deal with highways obstructions (not parking) and temporary structures offences.

Highways licences

Find out which highways licence you need to apply for if you want to use the public highway for private purposes.

List of streets

A list of streets in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

Managing construction traffic

Information about submitting a Construction Traffic Management Plan (CTMP) for parking availability and road safety.


Information on road and street works taking place in the borough including utility companies' contact details.

Section 58 restrictions

Information about Section 58 notices which are served on all statutory undertakers who dig up roads and carry out work in the borough.

Abandoned vehicles

Information about penalties for abandoning a vehicle on the public highway.

Junior road safety

Information about promoting road safety in primary schools through the Junior Travel Ambassador (JTA) scheme.

Roadworks fines

Information about maximum fines for offences on public highways. This includes placing a skip on the highway without a licence.

Advice for scaffolders

Advice for scaffolders working in Kensington and Chelsea.

Apply for a skip permit

Apply for a skip permit, information about using skips and how to request a parking bay suspension.


Maximum fines

damaging a road - £1000 plus the cost of the repair

Idling Engines- Don’t Be Idle

It is an offence to leave the engine running when your vehicle is parked.

Roadworks - Frequently asked questions

Roadworks - Frequently asked questions

Dropped kerbs

Dropped kerbs help wheelchair and mobility scooter users.

Privacy Notice for Parking Services

Important information about your privacy and how we process your information.

Streetscape Guide

About the Council's Streetscape Guide

The Exhibition Road Project

The Exhibition Road project was completed on 8 December 2011, changing a confusing and unwelcoming road into a word class streetscape and stunning public space that can be enjoyed by visitors and residents.

Oversailing Licence

Any structure which permanently overhangs the public highway must be licensed in accordance with Section 177 of the Highways Act 1980. This is often referred to as an oversailing licence. 

Requesting a bench

How to request the palcement of a bench on the highway.

Carrying out works in the borough

What to consider when carrying out works in the borough.

E-scooter trial

Hire E-scooters in Kensington and Chelsea.

Terms and Conditions for Highway licences

Full terms and conditions for skips, storing materials and erecting scaffolding or temporary crossovers on public highways in RBKC