Environmental health


Visit the Ecology Centre website

Explore, discover be active in the Royal Borough.

Royal Borough Environment Project

The Environment Project works in partnership with the public, private and voluntary sectors, to improve the environment in the Royal Borough and to involve the local community in improving their neighbourhood.

Food Safety A to Z

Check out the A - Z of food safety to ensure that the food you, store, prepare and sell is safe to eat.

Food poisoning

Information on food poisoning including symptoms, common causes and ways to prevent the spread of infection.

Healthier Catering Commitment

Healthy Catering Commitment, Healthy Catering Commitment Award scheme for food outlets which offer healthier food options

Infectious diseases

A list of infectious diseases which must be reported to your local authority

Clinical waste collection service

Clinical waste collection service offered to residents in the borough who have medical conditions that generate waste that must be disposed of under controlled conditions. Find out how to register for the service or book a collection.

Public toilets

Details of the locations of all the public toilets within Kensington and Chelsea and their opening times.

Frequently asked questions about land contamination

Frequently asked questions about land contamination and who it could affect landscaping, growing vegetables, basement excavations and potential health effects.

Contaminated land enquiries

If you would like to find out whether a particular property had a former land use that may potentially have caused some soil contamination, then please get in touch with the Council's Pollution Regulatory Team.

Investigation through Part IIA of the Environmental Protection Act 1990

Read about the Environmental Protection Act 1990, it's guidance and the Council's responsibility to ensure it has an Inspection Strategy to show how it identifies land in the bourough where contamination is suspected and how it will be dealt with

Detecting contamination

Find out how land contamination is detected and when it is classified as officially contaminated.

Approved premises

Information for certain food businesses who will require approval from the Council before they start trading and how to apply.

Urban Foxes

Information about urban foxes, the nuisance they cause, the risks they pose to humans and pets and tips for controlling them.

Pests in rented accommodation

Landlords have a legal responsibility to deal with pest problems on their property. Tenants can report an unresolved pest problem to the Pest Control Service for enforcement.

Pests in refuse storage areas

Guidance on how to prevent pests in refuse storage areas

What we do

Our Food Safety Team offer advice to businesses and will take formal action to make sure they comply with legal requirements.

Food safety inspections and enforcement

Information on how the Council keeps a check on food safety in the borough

Food alerts

Information about food alerts which are issued by the Food Standards Agency when food products should not be sold.

Food complaints

How and when to make a complaint to our Food Safety team.

Food hygiene rating

The food hygiene rating scheme is run in partnership with the Food Standards Agency.

Food standards

Information on food standards including advice for businesses and legislation.

Exported and Imported foods

Guidance for food businesses about importing and exporting food.

Private water supplies

Information about requirements of private water supplies including the need to carry out water sampling and risk assessments.

Allergens and labelling

Guidance on allergens and labelling from The Food Information Regulations 2014. They apply to all businesses supplying food to the public.

A to Z of Health and Safety

Information on the Council's A to Z of Health and Safety. This includes a range of topics with links to other websites for further details.

Health and safety inspections and enforcement

Find out what happens during a health and safety inspection and how to appeal.

Land contamination advice

Dealing with land contamination on a building site.

Environmental Health policies and reports

This page contains current policies and reports relating to enforcement, service standards and the annual report.

Brexit and Food Businesses

How Brexit will affect UK Food Businesses

Animal warden services

Our animal warden service provides information for dog and other animal owners in the borough. 

Qualify at Home

In partnership with Highfield Qualifications, Kensington and Chelsea is offering a new way of learning which will help learners gain a nationally recognised qualification whilst studying at home or at work.

Keeping cool in the heatwave

Advice to help protect you during a heatwave. 

Pest control service

The Council's pest control service can help you manage any pest issues you may have.

Support and recognition for commitment to employee well-being

Information on the London Healthy Workplace Award, including links to a wide range of resources to support your healthy workplace.